RESEARCH TRIANGLE PARK, NC – May 28, 2009 – Lenovo today announced the next version of Secure Managed Client (SMC), the PC industry’s only storage-based, alternative desktop computing solution that helps enterprises reduce IT costs and security risks by storing data in a remote location, while delivering superior desktop PC performance and functionality.
Lenovo’s SMC 1.2 solution consists of a client, a hard drive-less ThinkCentre M57p eco or M58p desktop, a Lenovo co-developed software stack and a centralized Lenovo Storage Array.
Enhanced Features Deliver Greater Value and Ease-of-Use
Building on the capabilities of SMC 1.0, new features introduced on SMC 1.2 include:
- Single Image Technology – Using SMC 1.2, IT managers can improve storage capacity by hosting a single PC image with a common operating system and applications in a central location for all SMC-enabled desktops to access. This feature streamlines PC image updates and patches. In addition, when using this technology customers can achieve greater density on their Storage Arrays.
- Added Peace of Mind with Data Back-Up Option – Information accessed by a SMC-powered fleet of ThinkCentre desktops is stored in a safe, single location, significantly reducing the threat of on-site data theft. Using the new SAN redundancy option on SMC 1.2, IT managers can seamlessly add a second Storage Array to eliminate downtime and provide access to information in the event of a hardware crash.The solution offers several additional benefits over current server-based computing options like blade PCs, thin clients or desktop virtualization, most notably:
- Preserves Full PC Computing Experience – SMC 1.2-enabled desktops maintain a system processor and graphics, including a full Windows experience, so users never have to sacrifice power and functionality.
- Flexible Investment – A Lenovo ThinkCentre desktop using SMC 1.2 can be easily converted back and forth between a traditional desktop PC and an SMC client. Companies already using ThinkCentre M57p eco or M58p desktops that want to move to a hosted SMC 1.2 solution can easily do so by adding a Storage Array and running the software stack.
- Energy Efficient Solution – By disabling or removing the hard disk, SMC can achieve approximately 20 percent power savings over the same desktop with a hard drive installed.
- Reduces Management Costs over Lifecycle of the PC Fleet – Lenovo estimates that large enterprise customers in North America typically spend about $120 a month to fully manage a PC. This expense takes into account such things as deskside IT visits, call center support, and management costs. Lenovo further estimates that using the SMC solution can potentially reduce this expense to as low as $70 per PC.
“Lenovo’s latest version of the Secured Managed Client solution evolves PC fleet management by delivering a better experience for both IT managers and individual users,” said Peter Schrady, vice president, general manager, software and peripherals, Lenovo. “As a storage-based solution, SMC 1.2 eliminates the hassle of transitioning existing data to a server, which can be expensive and time consuming to deploy. All computing activities still occur locally, so end-users never experience a difference in power or functionality between a hosted desktop and a traditional system.”
Lenovo Service & Support Minimizes Deployment Headaches
Customers can take advantage of a full suite of Lenovo Professional Services to help them deploy their solution quickly. Lenovo can seamlessly integrate the SMC 1.2 solution into a customer’s environment from initial migration planning to end-to-end SMC implementation. These services include:
- SMC Assessment
- Infrastructure Planning & Design
- Pilot Deployment
- Managed Deployment
- Customer Training
- SMC Consulting
- System Tuning
The SMC solution is also backed by Lenovo service and support. Customers can choose Lenovo ThinkPlus Priority Supportfor continuous, 24/7 reliability and efficient operation of the SMC 1.2 solution.
For more information please visit: www.Lenovo.com/securemanagedclient.
SMC 1.2 can be deployed on the Lenovo ThinkCentre M57p eco ultra small desktop and now all form factors of the ThinkCentre M58p desktop. The SMC 1.2 solution is available starting in early June in the US, Canada and select countries in Europe. It is also available to customers in Australia, New Zealand, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Japan and other countries beginning in Q2 2009.
About Secure Managed Client
The Secure Managed Client solution is the product of a partnership among Lenovo, Intel, LANDesk, America Megatrends Inc. and Serden.
Lenovo (HKSE: 992) (ADR: LNVGY) is dedicated to building exceptionally engineered personal computers. Lenovo’s business model is built on innovation, operational efficiency and customer satisfaction as well as a focus on investment in emerging markets. Formed by Lenovo Group’s acquisition of the former IBM Personal Computing Division, the company develops, manufactures and markets reliable, high-quality, secure and easy-to-use technology products and services worldwide. Lenovo has major research centers in Yamato, Japan; Beijing, Shanghai and Shenzhen, China; and Raleigh, North Carolina. For more information see www.lenovo.com.